Supportive parents are a vital component to a successful youth sports organization, and not just because they pay the registration fee and drive the kids to practice. Parents, in cooperation with coaches, referees and league officials, help to establish a positive atmosphere in which our kids can thrive, not only as athletes, but also as future citizens in our community. Parents serve as role models by exhibiting good sportsmanship, exercising restraint in the face of adversity, and maintaining a positive disposition. SNSA believes that our Henderson United, Southern Highlands United and Mini Kickers parents are the best of any youth sports league, and we thank you for your continued support!
"I've never coached before". "I've never played soccer before." "I don't have the time"! These are some of the reasons we hear from parents when asked if they can volunteer to coach their child's team. SNSA leagues are recreational and developmental, and we have between 250-300 teams every season that need a coach. Parent volunteers are the life-blood of our organization; it just doesn't work without you! So to counter the reasons why you can't coach your child's team, we would like to offer our Top-5 list of why you should!
1. BUILD YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR CHILD - Coaching offers an opportunity to build a lasting relationship with your child. When your child is grown and looks back on her childhood, she won't remember how many games were won or lost, but she will remember how special it was to have mom or dad coach her team.
2. ROLE-MODEL SPORTSMANSHIP - Coaching gives you the opportunity to teach impressionable young children how to handle adversity, how to learn from their mistakes, and how to show respect for their teammates and opponents. These lessons will stay with them throughout their lives.
3. CONTROL YOUR SCHEDULE - The coach of the team gets to choose the days, times and location of the practices. Do soccer on your schedule, not someone else's!
4. FREE COACH TRAINING - SNSA offers training classes at no charge to teach basic soccer concepts and provide games and drills to teach fundamental soccer skills and tactics.
5. SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT - Over the years, many parents who have volunteered to coach in SNSA have told us that it has been a rewarding experience for them: watching the practice time pay off as the kids start to use the skills they learn in the games; observing the full range of emotions from frustration to exuberance; developing a passion for the game; and making friendships that will last long after the days of youth soccer have passed.
We encourage you to click on the link below for a terrific article on the rewards of coaching a youth sports team. We hope that if asked to coach a team, you will view it as an opportunity to enrich your life and the lives of the kids you coach - and say YES!
Click on image for further information from CDC on screening your kids!
Thank you for registering your child with Southern Nevada Soccer Association for the Fall 2021 season. For some of you this may be the first time that your child is playing in a league; it can be exciting, but also a little intimidating! For those of you that are new to youth soccer generally or to SNSA specifically, we offer answers to the most frequent inquiries we receive:
HOW WILL I KNOW WHICH TEAM MY CHILD IS ON? The league will distribute rosters in August. Once a coach has the roster, he/she will notify each player on the team. If you have not heard from a coach by August 23, 2021 please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call 702-568-0400 so we can follow up.
WHAT EQUIPMENT WILL MY CHILD NEED? Your registration fee includes a uniform shirt, shorts and socks for the fall season (the Mini Kickers program also includes shin guards and a ball). Other equipment that each player will need:
Players shall not wear anything that could be dangerous to themselves or another player, including hard casts, watches, jewelry (including post earrings), hair clips, and eyeglasses with metal frames. Medical ID bracelets are permitted if covered with a wristband or tape.
WHEN AND WHERE ARE PRACTICES? A parent volunteer will coach your child’s team (if you volunteer to coach, you get to set the practice times and locations!). The coach will contact you regarding practice times and locations. Soccer is a team sport, and it is important for players to attend practices regularly.
IS IT SAFE FOR MY CHILD TO PLAY SOCCER? SNSA conducts background screenings on all registered coaches/team
managers and requires the completion of Safesport Abuse Prevention/Reporting and CDC Concussion training classes. SNSA
complies with all state and local protocol and will institute modifications to game rules as required to mitigate the potential
transmission of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
WHERE WILL THE GAMES BE PLAYED? SNSA purchases permits from the City of Henderson and Clark County for fields in the Henderson and South Valley area. The number of teams in your child’s age group will determine where games are played. Some fields we may be using are Acacia Park, Anthem Hills Park, Heritage Park, Russell Road Recreation Complex and Olympia Park. Field locations will be posted on the FIELDS section of the website when they become available.
WHEN WILL THE GAMES BE PLAYED? Games are scheduled to start on or after September 11, 2021. Most games will be played on Saturdays, though older age groups may have one or two Friday evening games; games that need to be rescheduled due to inclement weather may be played on Sundays. Schedules will be distributed to coaches and posted on the website in mid-March. League play is scheduled to conclude by November 13, 2021.
HOW CAN I HELP SNSA? This league is run primarily by PARENT VOLUNTEERS – SNSA needs parents to serve as coaches, team managers and COVID safety coordinators! No experience is necessary; we provide training free of charge. SNSA also needs referees and field marshals (paid positions). Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 702-568-0400 if you can help – we need you! Please be kind to league officials and volunteers!